Indian cricket captain Rohit Sharma delivered a breathtaking performance in a rain-affected clash against Nepal during the Asia Cup 2023, leaving a trail of records in his wake. Team India showcased their dominance by securing a comfortable victory, ultimately defeating Nepal by 10 wickets in a match that exhibited both sides’ talents.
Nepal, displaying commendable resilience against a formidable Indian bowling attack, managed to post a total of 230 runs in 48.2 overs. Their innings exhibited promise, with moments of brilliance in the face of India’s cricketing prowess.
Before India could embark on their chase, rain intervened, leading to a revised target of 145 runs in 20 overs under the Duckworth-Lewis method. This adjustment added an element of unpredictability to the contest, but the Men in Blue proved their mettle once again.
Also READ: Twitter reactions – Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill drive India to Super 4 after thrashing Nepal in rain-affected clash – Asia Cup 2023
Records tumble in Rohit’s wake
Indian skipper Rohit, alongside his opening partner Shubman Gill, unleashed a merciless assault on the Nepalese bowlers. Both batters achieved well-deserved half-centuries, but it was Rohit who stole the show with an unbeaten 74 off just 59 deliveries. Rohit’s remarkable innings not only sealed India’s victory but also etched his name in the annals of cricketing history:
- 49th ODI Half-Century: Rohit’s innings marked his 49th half-century in the 50-over format, a testament to his batting prowess.
- Most Sixes in Sri Lanka: Rohit now holds the record for the most sixes on Sri Lankan soil by an Indian batter, with 29 towering hits.
- Surpassing Suresh Raina: Rohit surpassed Suresh Raina’s tally of sixes (18) in ODI Asia Cup with 22 maximums to his name.
- Captain’s Milestone: Becoming the first Indian and the third player overall to achieve 250 sixes as a captain in international cricket.
- Second-Highest Run-Scorer: Rohit Sharma now stands as the second-highest run-scorer in Asia Cup history (combining ODIs and T20Is), amassing a total of 1101 runs, with 830 runs in ODI Asia Cup and 271 in T20Is.
- Six-Hitting Maestro: Rohit’s innings marked his 30th instance of hitting 5 or more sixes in an innings, a record most by an Indian.
- In Elite Company: Rohit Sharma joins the elite ranks of Indian cricketers with the joint third-highest number of sixes in an innings in ODI Asia Cup. Only MS Dhoni (6) and Sourav Ganguly (7) are ahead of him in this regard.
Also WATCH: Virat Kohli grabs a stunner to dismiss Asif Sheikh during India vs Nepal clash at Asia Cup 2023
#Asia #Cup #Indian #captain #Rohit #Sharma #shatters #records #clash #Nepal