The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced the schedule for the 2023 Women’s T20 World Cup. The global showpiece event will be hosted by South Africa.
Bangladesh and Ireland, the finalists of the 2022 Women’s T20 World Cup Qualifier, have successfully acquired the last two spots in the ten-team tournament, which will be played in Paarl, Gqeberha and Cape Town.
The Proteas, hosts of the 20-over competition, will take on Sri Lanka in the opening match on February 10 2023, in Cape Town. The final will be held on February 26, and a reserve day is available on the 27th.
When it comes to teams, defending champions Australia are placed in Group 1 along with New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Similarly, India, Ireland, West Indies, England and Pakistan are in Group 2.
The first double-header of the tournament will be played at Boland Park Stadium, with England and the West Indies taking on each other in the first match, followed by Australia facing New Zealand.
Newlands will then host the second double-header featuring four sub-continent sides where arch-rivals India will lock horns with Pakistan in the first game, followed by the contest between Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
“We are thrilled to be announcing the match schedule for the next ICC Women’s T20 World Cup as we look to build on the success of Australia 2020 and host a uniquely African celebration of cricket,” said ICC chief executive Geoff Allardice in a statement.
“As a key strategic priority for the sport, women’s cricket continues to build momentum and engage more fans than ever before. With T20 as the growth vehicle for cricket, we are confident that this event and the inaugural U19 Women’s T20 World Cup preceding the senior event will leave a lasting legacy to grow girls and women’s cricket around the world,” added Geoff.
Group 1: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh
Group 2: England, India, West Indies, Pakistan, Ireland
- February 10 – South Africa v Sri Lanka Cape Town
- February 11 – West Indies v England Paarl
Australia v New Zealand Paarl
- February 12 – India v Pakistan Cape Town
Bangladesh v Sri Lanka Cape Town
- February 13 – Ireland v England Paarl
South Africa v New Zealand Paarl
- February 14 – Australia v Bangladesh Gqeberha
- February 15 – West Indies v India Cape Town
Pakistan v Ireland Cape Town
- February 16 – Sri Lanka v Australia Gqeberha
- February 17 – New Zealand v Bangladesh Cape Town
West Indies v Ireland Cape Town
- February 18 – England v India Gqeberha
South Africa v Australia Gqeberha
- February 19 – Pakistan v West Indies Paarl
New Zealand v Sri Lanka Paarl
- February 20 – Ireland v India Gqeberha
- February 21 – England v Pakistan Cape Town
South Africa v Bangladesh Cape Town
- February 23 – SEMI-FINAL 1 Cape Town
- February 24 – RESERVE DAY Cape Town
SEMI-FINAL 2 Cape Town
- February 25 – RESERVE DAY Cape Town
- February 26 – FINAL Cape Town
- February 27 – RESERVE DAY Cape Town
#ICC #reveals #Groups #Schedule #Womens #T20 #World #Cup