Josh Hazlewood held his nerve in the Super Over to drive Australia to a thrilling win over Sri Lanka in the second T20I of the ongoing five-match series at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
While chasing, Sri Lanka made a comeback after losing four wickets for 67. Captain Dasun Shanaka (19) and opener Pathum Nissanka stitched a crucial stand of 48 runs for the fifth wicket. However, a run-out ended Shanaka’s innings and broke the partnership.
The wicket of Shanaka followed another collapse as the visitors lost a few more wickets. However, opener Nissanka held his end alive and kept pushing the team towards the finish line. But his dismissal in the final over for 73 made sure the score remained tied on 164, and the contest went into the Super Over.
Sri Lanka could only manage to get five runs in their Super Over, and the hosts chased down the target with three balls to spare. azlewood, who picked up three wickets in the game, delivered a stunning over.
Here is how the Super Over went:
- 0.1: Hazlewood to Shanaka, no run, the batter tried to play the paddle scoop but missed out.
- 0.2: Hazlewood to Shanaka, no run, wide yorker, the batter failed to get a bat under it.
- 0.3: Hazlewood to Shanaka, one run and a wicket, yet another yorker and the batter misses. But they managed to steal a bye. But there was an overthrow, which made the batters go for another run; however, Glenn Maxwell fired a direct hit to remove Dinesh Chandimal.
- 0.4: Hazlewood to Shanaka, one run, another yorker by the pacer and batters couldn’t do much to take just one run.
- 0.5: Hazlewood to Nissanka, a couple of runs. This time the bowler dragged it short, and Nissanka pulled it to get two runs.
- 0.6: Hazlewood to Nissanka, one run. Hazlewood again kept it full and only allowed the tourists to take one run to finish a match-winning over.
In response, Maxwell and Marcus Stoinis came to the middle and finished the proceedings off just three balls to win the game for Australia.
Relive the moment here:
0, 0, 1W, 1, 2, 1
Take a bow, Josh Hazlewood 👏
— Cricket on BT Sport (@btsportcricket) February 13, 2022
#WATCH #Josh #Hazlewood #delivers #excellent #Super #Australia #pip #Sri #Lanka #2nd #T20I